LinkedIn is one of the most professionally rewarding platforms out there right now with it’s successful hunting ground for talent utilized by businesses and even job hunters. With a tool like this, it’s important for you to make the most out of this professional social network. Below, are some tips on how to make the most of your profile.
Make Yourself Known
Being found by a recruiter can give you a big advantage over other applicants. Here’s how you make sure recruiters find you:
- Make sure your profile is 100 percent complete, with a nice profile picture and a thorough branding statement.
Explain your skills and how you utilized them.
- Include all your employers and educational background, with dates.
- Join LinkedIn’s limit of 50 groups so you can have immediate access to anyone with whom you share a group. You can join different kinds of groups, such as alumni groups, interest groups and many many more. Contribute to these groups by participating in discussions and asking questions.
Employers and recruiters advertise specific jobs in multiple ways on LinkedIn.
- Each LinkedIn Group now has its own “Jobs” tab. You can find jobs that are specifically advertised to that particular group.
- LinkedIn Signal, found in the News tab, is a running, searchable compendium of all the status updates posted by members of your network. You can simply do a search like “hiring (insert your job skill/title)” in the LinkedIn Signal tab, and easily find out who in your network is looking to hire. You’ll be able to see all the different status updates posted by the members in your network.
LinkedIn is a valuable resource when you want to stay updated with just about any company or network.
- With LinkedIn being a publishing company, it provides many articles and postings from different leaders in different fields, all under the News tab.
- Learn about the latest buzz from companies that interest you. Learn about products, services and how your skills might apply to the different fields.
LinkedIn will always have updates and ways of improving your online presence. Make use of the information it provides and be open to learning!